Biodiversity

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

THE WATER VASCULAR SYSTEM THAT CHARACTERIZES ANIMALS THAT OCCUR IN THE PHYLUM ECHINODERMATA

Enchinodermata are phylum of marine animals found in the ocean at all depths. The echonodermata has six classes which are Asteroidea example starfish, Concentricycloipea example sea daises, Crinoidea example feather stars, Echonoidea example sea urchin, Holuthuroidea example sea cucumbers and Ophiuroidea example brittle stars. The phylum is containing approximately six thousands species and constitute the group of deuterostome invertebrates. Enchinodermata are characterizes by a unique vascular system.

The vascular system can be defined as a hydraulically controlled system consisting of a circumoral ring around the esophagus with connecting radial canals each leading to an ambulacrum. "The vascular system can be closed or opened. Crinoids have an open vascular system. The water vascular system is used by echinoderm such as sea stars and sea urchins. They may be evolved from tentacular system similar to those of deuterostone phyla such as tentacle pterebranch hemichordates"(1). However, there are different kinds of derived features of the vascular system, these include an embryological origin from left mesocoel, podia arranged along branches (ambulacra), and a central curcumesophagel ring (1).

The characteristics of vascular system do differ according to class. Crinoid has madreporite with multiple pores and madreporite may be replaced by minute scattered openings called hydropores. It has no polian vesicles, tube feet suckers and ampullae on podia. "Podia penetration is between plate and podia spacing is stumble . In asteroid madreporite of vascular system has aboral" (1). Some asteroid have tube feet sucker whereas others do not have. Podia penetration is between plates. It has ampullae on podia.

In Ophiuroid, madreporite of vascular system has oral. It has a polian vesicles Ophiuroid does not tube feet sucker. Podia penetrations are found between plates. Podia spacing is paired. It does not have ampullae on podia. In Echinoid madreporite has aboral. It has polian vesicles, tube feet sucker may be present or absent. "Podia penetration is paired through plates. Podia spacing is stagger. It has ampullae on podia. In Holothuroid madreporite are internal" (3). It has polian vesicles. Tube feet sucker a may be present or absent. Podia penetration between suckers may be present or absent. Podia penetrations are found between plates. Podia spacing is stagger. It has ampullae on podia (1).


Vascular systems network canals to create hydrostatic pressure, to help the starfish to move. Water enters through sieve plate or madreporite on aboral surface into a short stone canal. Stone canal connects to a circular canal around the mouth called the ring canal. "Five radial canals carry water to hundreds of paired tube feet. Bulb-like sacs or ampulla’s on the upper end of each tube foot contract and form suction to help move, attach or open bivalves’ mollusk shells and create suction to pull valves apart slightly" (3). Starfish exerts its stomach through its mouth and inserts into prey. Stomach secretes enzymes to partially digest bivalve then stomach withdrawn and digestion completed inside the starfish (1).

"The vascular systems perform different functions in echinoderm; these include locomotion, respiration, and feeding" (2). Most of the sensory neurons are located at the podia which are also part of this organ. Most oxygen enters starfish through diffusion into the tube feet. "This water vascular system can be used as a source of oxygen for respiration" (3). Many sea cucumbers also have a complex respiratory tree. The surface of many echinoderms is perforated by extensions of the body wall. Through these thin membranes of the body wall respiration can take place.

The vascular systems are very essential to echonodermata. They are responsible for digestion, locomotion and respiration. Even though echonodermata do differ with some characteristics but they all have vascular system. The vascular system is either open or close.

References

1.Denning D & Russell B. The Biology of Echinoderms [Internet] 2006 May 05, 12:30 UCT [cited 2006 May 07] Available from: http://ebiomedia.com/prod/BOechinoderms.html%202000-2005

2.Wikepedia Contributors. Water vascular system [Internet] Wikipedia, The free Encyclopedia, 2006 May 05, 11:15 UCT [Cited 2006 May 07] Available from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/water vascular

3.Gregory A.W. Echinodermata. [Internet] 2006 May 05, 14:10 UCT Available from: http://tolweb.org/Echinodermata

Masiya Kedibone
CSIR Pretoria
0001
Cell No: 073 2519071
Tel No: 012 8412123
Fax: 012 842 3676
E-mail:kmasiya@csir.co.za
Weblog: http://kedibone-kedimasiya.blogspot.com/

29 Comments:

  • Too much direct quoting. Too few references. Awkward grammar and linkage of ideas.

    Nick

    By Blogger NcK, at May 29, 2006 10:09 AM  

  • This design is steller! You certainly know how to keep a
    reader entertained. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my
    own blog (well, almost...HaHa!) Wonderful job. I really loved what you had to say, and
    more than that, how you presented it. Too cool!
    Also see my page - www.popflops.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 30, 2013 9:00 AM  

  • It's going to be finish of mine day, except before end I am reading this impressive post to improve my know-how.
    Here is my homepage - Ronald McDonald Advertising Balloon Rental

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 30, 2013 10:19 AM  

  • I do not comment, but after looking at a few of the comments on "THE WATER VASCULAR SYSTEM THAT CHARACTERIZES ANIMALS THAT OCCUR IN THE PHYLUM ECHINODERMATA".
    I actually do have a few questions for you if you don't mind. Could it be only me or do a few of these comments come across like they are written by brain dead folks? :-P And, if you are writing at other sites, I would like to follow you. Could you post a list of all of your social networking pages like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?
    Visit my blog post 3d video games

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 30, 2013 12:51 PM  

  • Wow, that's what I was looking for, what a stuff! existing here at this weblog, thanks admin of this website.
    Take a look at my weblog - painting contractor

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 30, 2013 1:01 PM  

  • With havin so much content and articles do you ever run into any issues of plagorism or copyright
    violation? My website has a lot of completely unique content I've either authored myself or outsourced but it seems a lot of it is popping it up all over the internet without my agreement. Do you know any methods to help stop content from being stolen? I'd really appreciate it.
    My blog - Voicewinds

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 30, 2013 1:32 PM  

  • Hi there! Someone in my Myspace group shared this website with us so
    I came to check it out. I'm definitely loving the information. I'm bookmarking and will
    be tweeting this to my followers! Wonderful blog and brilliant style
    and design.
    My page - Sell my business Los Angeles

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 30, 2013 4:18 PM  

  • It's remarkable for me to have a site, which is beneficial designed for my knowledge. thanks admin
    Stop by my blog houston

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 30, 2013 8:49 PM  

  • Hi would you mind letting me know which hosting company you're using? I've loaded your blog in 3 different internet
    browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot quicker
    then most. Can you suggest a good hosting provider at a honest
    price? Kudos, I appreciate it!
    Here is my webpage : 404 Not Found

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 31, 2013 11:22 PM  

  • Great work! That is the kind of information that are meant to be
    shared across the internet. Shame on the search engines for not positioning this post higher!
    Come on over and talk over with my web site .
    Thanks =)
    Feel free to visit my blog : www.candecarpetsandvents.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at February 01, 2013 3:18 AM  

  • Heya i am for the primary time here. I found
    this board and I in finding It truly useful & it helped me
    out much. I am hoping to give one thing back and aid others
    like you helped me.
    My webpage: motor clubs

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at February 02, 2013 2:02 AM  

  • Its like you read my mind! You appear to know a lot about this,
    like you wrote the book in it or something.
    I think that you can do with a few pics to drive the message home
    a little bit, but instead of that, this is magnificent blog.

    A great read. I will certainly be back.

    My web blog; armitron watches

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 12, 2013 3:51 AM  

  • I am in fact pleased to glance at this webpage posts which includes lots of useful information, thanks for providing such statistics.


    Also visit my web page - victorinox

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 13, 2013 2:27 AM  

  • If you are going for most excellent contents like me, only pay a visit this web page
    daily because it offers feature contents, thanks

    Here is my website remote control vehicles

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 13, 2013 4:36 PM  

  • Admiring the hard work you put into your site and detailed information you
    offer. It's great to come across a blog every once in a while that isn't the same
    unwanted rehashed information. Wonderful read!
    I've bookmarked your site and I'm including your RSS feeds to
    my Google account.

    Feel free to surf to my site :: seo campaign

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 13, 2013 7:07 PM  

  • I was curious if you ever considered changing the structure of your website?
    Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.
    But maybe you could a little more in the way of content
    so people could connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having one or 2 pictures.
    Maybe you could space it out better?

    Take a look at my web site :: gprasad.net

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 16, 2013 2:21 PM  

  • I really like your blog.. very nice colors & theme.

    Did you make this website yourself or did you
    hire someone to do it for you? Plz respond as I'm looking to create my own blog and would like to find out where u got this from. thanks

    Also visit my web-site - watches for men

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 16, 2013 3:12 PM  

  • I want to to thank you for this fantastic read!
    ! I certainly loved every little bit of it. I have you book marked to
    check out new things you post…

    Also visit my web-site ... pirater un compte facebook

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 16, 2013 6:17 PM  

  • Having read this I believed it was extremely informative. I appreciate you finding the time and effort to put this informative article together.
    I once again find myself spending a significant amount
    of time both reading and leaving comments. But so what, it was still worth it!


    Also visit my blog post Psn Code Generator

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 20, 2013 11:45 PM  

  • I do consider all the ideas you've presented to your post. They are really convincing and will certainly work. Nonetheless, the posts are very short for beginners. May just you please extend them a little from subsequent time? Thank you for the post.

    My site :: Psn Code Generator

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 21, 2013 6:28 AM  

  • Every weekend i used to pay a visit this web site, because i wish for enjoyment, as this
    this site conations truly pleasant funny data
    too.

    Here is my website; Candy Crush Saga Hack

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 30, 2013 9:27 PM  

  • Greetings! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering if you knew
    where I could locate a captcha plugin for my comment form?
    I'm using the same blog platform as yours and I'm having trouble finding
    one? Thanks a lot!

    Take a look at my page ... Microsoft Office Gratuit

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 31, 2013 11:28 PM  

  • I was curious if you ever considered changing the layout of your blog?
    Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.
    But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so
    people could connect with it better. Youve got an
    awful lot of text for only having 1 or two pictures.
    Maybe you could space it out better?

    Take a look at my weblog - free psn codes

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 02, 2013 12:31 AM  

  • Link exchange is nothing else except it is only
    placing the other person's web site link on your page at appropriate place and other person will also do similar in support of you.

    Look at my web site Generateur de Code PSN

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 07, 2013 11:33 PM  

  • Heya this is somewhat of off topic but I was wondering if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually
    code with HTML. I'm starting a blog soon but have no coding skills so I wanted to get guidance from someone with experience. Any help would be enormously appreciated!

    Here is my site - Psn Code Generator ()

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 08, 2013 9:41 PM  

  • Ridiculous story there. What happened after? Thanks!


    Also visit my web-site ... Psn Code Generator

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 09, 2013 7:26 AM  

  • continuously i used to read smaller articles which also clear their
    motive, and that is also happening with this paragraph
    which I am reading here.

    Look at my web site Dragon City Cheat Engine

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 11, 2013 1:18 PM  

  • What's Happening i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I've discovered It positively useful
    and it has aided me out loads. I am hoping to contribute & help other users like its helped me.
    Great job.

    Have a look at my website: Codes Psn Gratuit

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 13, 2013 11:43 PM  

  • Hello my family member! I want to say that this article is awesome, great written and include almost all significant infos.

    I'd like to look extra posts like this .

    Here is my website :: kissimmeepublic golf courses

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 14, 2013 11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home